ALKANES AND FUELS
MULTIPLE CHOICE TEST
1. The general formula for alkanes is... CnH2n-2 CnH2n CnH2n+2
2. The empirical formula of cyclohexane is ...
3. Which of the following
straight chain alkanes has the highest
4. Which of the following alkanes has the
5. What is the name of the compound
with the structural formula, CH3CH(CH3)CH(CH3)CH2CH3?
6. The number of structural isomers
with the molecular formula C5H12 is...
7. The alkane which requires 5 moles of oxygen per
mole for complete combustion is...
8. Which one of the following emissions from car exhausts is not classed as a pollutant?
9. Which one of the following is
not a fossil fuel?
10. Which one of the following is a non-renewable energy source?
11. Which one of the
following statements about free radicals is not true?
they are produced during the chlorination of methane in
the presence of UV light
they contain a lone pair of electrons
they are formed during homolysis of
they are formed during the thermal cracking of
12. The order of stages in the
reaction between chlorine and methane in UV light is...
propagation, initiation, termination
termination, propagation, initiation
initiation, propagation, termination
initiation, termination, propagation
13. The first step of the reaction between chlorine
and methane in UV light involves...
breaking a C-C bond
breaking a C-H bond
breaking a Cl-Cl bond
the formation of Cl¯ ions
14. Which reaction is not a
propagation step in the reaction between methane and excess chlorine?
CH3 + Cl2
> CH3Cl + Cl
CH3 + Cl > CH3Cl
Cl + CH4 > CH3 + HCl
CH3Cl + Cl > CH2Cl + HCl
15. Which organic product is most likely to be present following the
reaction between excess
chlorine and methane in the presence
of UV light?
16. Which of the following
statements about fractional distillation of crude oil is not true?
the more volatile fractions condense further up the
compounds with a small number of carbon atoms are less
compounds with a large number of carbon atoms condense
at higher temperatures
compounds with a large number of carbon atoms are likely
to be viscous
17. Which one of the
following fractions is the most volatile?
18. Which process in the oil
and petroleum industry is used to obtain cycloalkanes?
19. Which one of the following
statements about thermal cracking is not true?
it involves a free radical mechanism
it takes place at high temperatures and pressures
it involves heterolytic fission
ethene and hydrogen are useful
20. Which one of the following
statements about catalytic cracking is not true?
it involves breaking down more useful compounds into
smaller and more useful ones
catalytic cracking involves a free radical mechanism
catalytic cracking involves heterolytic fission
catalytic cracking involves ions
RE-READ YOUR NOTES
IF YOU DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE ANSWERS