SHAPES OF MOLECULES
2. Which of the following is the correct order for the electron pair
lone pair-lone pair < bond pair-bond pair < bond
lone pair-lone pair < bond pair-lone pair < bond
bond pair-bond pair < bond pair-lone pair < lone
bond pair-bond pair < lone pair-lone pair < bond
3. Which of the following is not a trigonal planar molecule?
4. Which of the following is tetrahedral?
5. The shape of a molecule with six bond pairs and no lone pairs
6. Which one of following molecules does not have any three of its
atoms in a straight line?
7. The bond angles in a molecule of boron trifluoride are...
8. The bond angles in PF5 are...
90° and 120°
109.5° and 120°
109.5° and 90°
9. Which of the following species has a shape based on two lone pairs
and two bond pairs?
10. The shape of carbon dioxide is described as...
11. The H-N-H bond angles in the ammonium ion NH4+
greater than the H-N-H bond angles in ammonia
identical H-N-H bond angles in ammonia
less than the H-N-H bond angles in ammonia
12. The shape of XeF4 molecules is based on them having...
4 bond pairs
4 bond pairs and 1 lone pair
4 bond pairs and 2 lone pairs
4 bond pairs and 4 lone pairs
13. Which one of the following molecules/ions is square planar?
14. The molecule whose shape is based on lone pairs is...
15. The ion whose shape is not based on lone pairs is...
16. Which of the following statements about ammonia molecules is not
they possess a lone pair
the H-N-H bond is 107°
they are pyramidal in shape
they are tetrahedral in shape
17. Which of the following statements about SO2 molecules
the O=S=O bond angle is 180°
their shape is based on then having two lone pairs and
two double bond pairs
their shape is based on then having one lone pair and
two bond bond pairs
they are trigonal planar
18. Which of following best describes the shape of SO3
19. In which of the following changes are the bond angles in the
second species smaller than the first?
H2O and H3O+
CH4 and CO2
NH4+ and NH3
AlCl4- and AlCl3
20. The shape of BrF3 is best described as...